A Skilled Facial Plastic Surgeon Can Demonstrate A Thorough CV
- CEO, Cilento Facial Plastic Surgery & Rhinology, Texas Sinus & Snoring, Houston, Texas
- Staff ENT, Allergy and Asthma Associates, LLC Houston, Texas
- Assistant Professor, Eastern Virginia Medical School, Norfolk, Virginia
- Assistant Professor, Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences, Bethesda, Maryland
- Medical School: Medical Doctorate, Albert Einstein College of Medicine 09/1993-06/1998
- Undergraduate: Bachelor of Science, Trinity College, Hartford, CT 09/1985-06/1989
PROFESSIONAL TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
- Fellowship: Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, mentor: Calvin M. Johnson Jr., MD, Tulane University, New Orleans, LA – 07/2006 – 06/2007
- Residency: Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery-University of Washington – 07/1999-06/2004
- PGY-1: General Surgical Internship/University of Washington/June – 07/1998 – 06/1999
LICENSURE AND SPECIALTY CERTIFICATION
Current Unrestricted State Licenses
- Washington State
- North Dakota State License
- Virginia State License
- Texas State License
- American Board of Otolaryngology – 06/2005
- American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery – 10/2009
HONORS AND RECOGNITION
- Phi Beta Kappa -National University honor society. Biology, Departmental Honors
- Eastern College Athletic Conference (ECAC) Scholar Athlete Award (1987)- Awarded annually across theNew England region for outstanding achievement in both academics and athletics.
- Slaughter Award (1988)- awarded yearly to the most improved varsity swimmer.
- Alpha Omega Alpha – National medical honor society. The top 5% of all medical students in the nation are elected to this honor society based on academic merit.
- American Heart Association Research Fellowship Award-$15,000.00 research grant awarded annually to medical students based on academic merit and competitive application. I studied at the NY Cancer Institute under Dr Matthew Scharff, M.D.
- Potsic Ferguson Award 2003- $2,000.00 awarded annually at the Combined Otologic Spring Meetings (COSM) for the best resident presentation. See below for presentation.
- Humanitarian Travel Award 2004 – Every year AAOHNS awards five (5) $1,000.00 grants to residents who apply to participate in humanitarian aid projects in an underprivileged country.Ecuador Feb-Mar 2004.
- John Orlando Roe Award 2007- $1,000.00 Awarded yearly by the AAFPRS to the facial plastics fellow with the best research project in the nation.
- Commanders Grant, Naval Medical Center, Portsmouth 2008- $20,000.00 This is a research competition in the Navy. Awarded yearly to young attendings with a research proposal that is deemed worthy. This grant was given in support of work on nasal dyspnea in our cadaver lab here at the Naval Medical Center Portsmouth.
- Examiner, American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (ABFPRS) 2010-present
- Awarded the design project for creation of the new ABFPRS logo 2010
- Letter of Commendation for research conducted as a first year medical student during a six week rotation at the Naval Experimental Diving Unit (NEDU),Panama City, Florida.
- Navy Commendation Medal 2005 For producing an educational video on patient turnover to ensure hospital readiness for the JCAHO inspection.
- Navy Commendation Medal 2010 Given in recognition of turning around the departments research efforts and creating a course called SOAR (Surgical Outcomes and Research) which was responsible for a 10 fold increase in research papers as well as an increase in quality of the papers produced.
- Staff Otolaryngologist at the Naval Medical Center, Portsmouth with teaching responsibilities for 10 ENT residents.
- Chief, Division of Facial Plastics and Reconstructive Surgery Naval Medical Center, Portsmouth – 06/2007-06/2010
- Assistant Professor, Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences National Naval Medical Center, Bethesda Maryland – 08/2007- present.
- Assistant Professor, Eastern Virginia Medical School Department of Otolaryngology 825 Fairfax Avenue Norfolk, VA 23507-1914 – 08/2009- present.
- American Medical Association
- American Academy of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery
- American Board of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery
- American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Socioeconomic and Regulatory Committee – AAFPRS 2007 – present
- Faces of Honor- Help for our Wounded Warriors – AAFPRS 2007 – present
- Facial Plastic Surgery Education Committee – AAOHNS 2009 – present
- “Medspa treatments and the surgical patient: synergistic rejuvenation” IECSC International Esthetic, Cosmetic and Spa Conference, Jun 20, 2011. Las Vegas, Nevada.
- “The Case for Open Forehead rejuvenation: a review of 1004 cases” Asian Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Society, Oct 23, 2010. Taipei, Taiwan.
- “Rejuvenation of the aging face” BSG’s International Medspa Association Conference, June 21, 2010. Curitiba, Brazil.
- “Local Flaps in Mohs Reconstruction” Facial Plastics Symposium: Eastern Virginia Medical School, May 7, 2010. Norfolk, Virginia.
- “Open Structure Rhinoplasty” Grand Rounds: Eastern Virginia Medical School, March 2009. Norfolk, Virginia.
- “Rejuvenating the Midface: a comprehensive look at the surgical options” Grand Rounds: Naval Medical Center Portsmouth, January 2009. Portsmouth, Virginia.
- “The Use of Local Flaps and Mohs Reconstruction” Grand Rounds: Naval Medical Center Portsmouth, November 2008. Portsmouth, Virginia.
- “Auricular Reconstruction” Grand Rounds: Naval Medical Center Portsmouth, September 2008. Portsmouth, Virginia.
- “Rejuvenation of the Aging Face”. Grand Rounds: Naval Medical Center Portsmouth, June 2008. Portsmouth, Virginia.
- “The Deep Plane Facelift”. Grand Rounds: Naval Medical Center Portsmouth, March 2008. Portsmouth, Virginia.
- “Mandibular Fractures”. Grand Rounds: Naval Medical Center Portsmouth, January 2008. Portsmouth, Virginia.
- “Modern Trends in Facial Rejuvenation” National Teaching Rounds, Department of Otolaryngology, University of Auckland. June 2007. Auckland New Zealand.
- “The Use of Local Flaps and Mohs Reconstruction”. National Teaching Rounds, Department of Otolaryngology, University of Auckland. June 2007. Auckland New Zealand.
- “Trends in Otolaryngology: Head and Neck Surgery”. Guam Medical Society: Annual Medical Symposium. June 2006. Guam, USA.
- “Sphincter pharyngoplasty in the management of VPI”. Combined Otolaryngology Spring Meeting: March 2004. Nasheville, TN.
- Cilento, B.W. and Russell, K.L Unmanned and manned evaluation of the Weatherford Zero-thrust Hydroblaster and the MK 21 Mod 1 on diver hearing. Technical report # 14-94; NAVSEA TA94-020. (Med Student)
- Cilento, B.W., Norton, S., Gates, G.A. The effects of aging on distortion products of otoacoustic emission (DPOAE) by gender and frequency. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2003 Oct;129(4):382-9. (Resident)
- Cilento, B.W., Futran, N. Retroesophageal thyrothymic thyroid rests. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 2005 May;114(5):416-8.
- Cilento, B.W., Izzard, M., Futran, N. The Visor flap approach to oral cavity cancers. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2007 Sep;137(3):428-32.
- Cilento, B.W., Johnson, C.M. Jr. The Case for Open Forehead Procedures: A review of 1004 cases. Arch Facial Plast Surg. 2009 Jan-Feb;11(1):13-7.
- Cilento BW, Larson DA. Predictive value of a methodical approach to nasal airway evaluation. Accepted by AAO-HNS June 2011.
- Cilento BW, Lim A, Gallagher TQ, Liu M. Safety of topical Mitomycin C in treatment of Keloids of the head and neck – Ongoing.